Have you made a New Year’s Resolution this year? There are many eye health and vision goals you can make this year, such as:
- Make an appointment to see your eye doctor: Getting a basic eye exam can reveal some more serious diseases that may affect more than just your vision. An exam with your eye doctor can potentially uncover hidden medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, glaucoma, and cataracts.
- Recommend an appointment for family and friends to see an eye doctor: Word-of-mouth referrals often are the best way for people to find a friendly, competent and caring eye doctor and avoid unpleasant surprises when they go to have their eyes examined.
- Wear sunglasses outdoors: Wearing sunglasses protects your eyes from harmful UV rays. Make sure you protect your eyes even on cloudy days. Not only does too much UV exposure increase your risk for cataracts and macular degeneration, it can also cause eye damage and cancers.
- Eat your way to healthy eyes: Getting nutrients by eating things such as leafy greens, nuts, and shellfish can protect your eyes.
- Take eye health vitamin supplements: Certain studies have shown that taking a vitamin supplement can reduce the risk of advanced AMD progression and visual acuity loss. Don’t know what to take? Ask our staff for recommendations on brands and quantities.
On behalf of all of us at Ocean Optics, we wish you and your family a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!